Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Birthday Party and First order

   So my neighbor came over to my house and asked me if I could make cupcakes for her daughter's first birthday party. I said OK not knowing what it would take to make 200 cupcakes (100 regular and 100 mini). And yes 200 was a daunting number for me since this was my first time actually making so many cupcakes. The most I had ever made was a dozen or two, so from 12 to 200 is a big change. We came up with the flavors- chocolate, vanilla, and lemon with lemon curd filling.

   I was really enthusiastic and baked all of the 100 (plus the other 100 minis) all a day before, thinking that my work load would get less. Little did I know that the vanillas would dry out :(
 
   So on the day of the party, which was at 11:00 pm BTW,  I got up at 5 AM to re-bake the vanillas. They turned out great - moist and fresh like they should be. Luckily I had made the 3 frostings ( vanilla, rich chocolate, and lemon) the day before, so that worked out to my benefit. I also started to make the hand made sugar flowers 3 days before so they would have time to dry. Then I steamed them to give them a shine (I got the technique from Cake Boss, the TV show on TLC) and then dusted them with petal dust which was a hefty amount out of my pocket. But it all turned out for the better.

 












   

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the blog! What a wonderful idea! I can't wait to read more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! Saksham! Your cupcakes look amaaaazing! I love the sugar flowers! So professional looking! And mmmm lemon curd. Can I put in an order?

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look delicious! Are you going to share recipes in later posts? I've never tried to making a curd filling before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, baker in the family! I had learnt about your baking order but to read about its details and see the pics of the artfully done (I bet yummy) cupcakes is something to be proud of. Wish you much success and great following!
    !Mucho gusto a ver tu blog en la red!
    Jyoti nani

    ReplyDelete